Plugin server keeps dying with signal 8
William Rentfrow
2010-06-16 15:34:42 UTC
We're on a new install of Remedy ARS. Here's the vital stats:

Suse Linux = AR Server OS

Remote Oracle DB (Oracle 10g RAC)

AR Server 7.5 patch 005

Non-root install

I've only gotten through the AR Install. It installed with no errors.
When the server tries to start I keep getting this error:

ARMonitor child process (pid:3719) started.
./arplugin
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/remedy/ar/bin:/remedy/ar/pluginsvr:/remedy/ar/arealdap:
/remedy/ar/ardbcldap:/remedy/ar/bin:/remedy/ar/pluginsvr:/remedy/ar/ardb
cldap:/remedy/ar/arealdap:/remedy/ar/webserviceplugin:/remedy/oracle/pro
duct/client/10204.1/lib:/remedy/ar/jdk1.6.0_20/jre/bin:/usr/lib:/lib

Action Request System(R) Plug-In Server Version 7.5.00 Patch 005
201005111542
(c) Copyright 2001-2009 BMC Software, Inc.

Action Request System(R) Signal Daemon Version 7.5.00 Patch 005
201005111542
(c) Copyright 2000-2009 BMC Software, Inc.

(ARNOTE 0)
ARMonitor child process (pid:3719) died with 136. And the signal is
8.

(paths above changed since they are considered proprietary but you get
the idea....)

The LD_LIBRARY_PATH appears to have everything in it that it needs.
Support has reviewed our ar.conf file and had us try a few things but so
far we have not solved the problem.

Also, when I attempt to invoke the plug-in server directly using the
line in armonitor.conf I get this error:

/remedy/ar/bin/arplugin: error while loading shared libraries:
libarcrypto.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
directory

The libarcrypto.so file exists and is in the /ar/bin directory. We have
a supported version of Java installed.

William Rentfrow
Principal Consultant, StrataCom Inc.
***@stratacominc.com
Corporate Website, www.stratacominc.com <http://www.stratacominc.com/>
Blog, www.williamrentfrow.com <http://www.williamrentfrow.com/>
715-410-8156 C

Ben Chernys
2010-06-16 15:51:05 UTC
Make sure the x (execute) bit is on. if not, turn it on.

ls -l libarcrypto.so
chmod +x libarcrypto.so

In your email you say the .so is in /ar/bin, not /remedy/ar/bin

Double check that this is just a type else fix your path or copy the file.

Cheers
Ben Chernys

Senior Software Architect
Software Tool House Inc.

Canada / Deutschland / Germany
Mobile: +49 171 380 2329 GMT + 1 + [ DST ]
Email: <mailto:***@softwaretoolhouse.com> Ben.Chernys _AT_
softwaretoolhouse.com
Web: <http://www.softwaretoolhouse.com/> www.softwaretoolhouse.com

Check out Software Tool House's free Diary Editor.

Meta-Update, our premium ARS Data tool, lets you automate
your imports, migrations, in no time at all, without programming,
without staging forms, without merge workflow.
<http://www.softwaretoolhouse.com/> <http://www.softwaretoolhouse.com/>
http://www.softwaretoolhouse.com/

_____

William Rentfrow
2010-06-16 15:57:24 UTC
Thanks for the quick response.

The execute bit is on and the non-root user is the owner of all of these
objects.

You are right about the paths - they are correct on the server but not
in the email. I should have said it's in the <installdir>/ar/bin

________________________________

Make sure the x (execute) bit is on. if not, turn it on.

ls -l libarcrypto.so
chmod +x libarcrypto.so

In your email you say the .so is in /ar/bin, not /remedy/ar/bin

Double check that this is just a type else fix your path or copy the
file.

Cheers
Ben Chernys

Senior Software Architect
Software Tool House Inc.

Canada / Deutschland / Germany
Mobile: +49 171 380 2329 GMT + 1 + [ DST ]
Email: Ben.Chernys _AT_ softwaretoolhouse.com
<mailto:***@softwaretoolhouse.com>
Web: www.softwaretoolhouse.com

_attend WWRUG10 www.wwrug.com ARSlist: "Where the Answers Are"_ _attend
WWRUG10 www.wwrug.com ARSlist: "Where the Answers Are"_

Ben Chernys
2010-06-16 16:05:10 UTC
Try ldd remedy/ar/bin/arplugin

ldd lists the dependencies and whether they are available or not.

Cheers
Ben

_____

WWRUG10 www.wwrug.com ARSlist: "Where the Answers Are"_ _attend WWRUG10
www.wwrug.com ARSlist: "Where the Answers Are"_

William Rentfrow
2010-06-16 18:11:08 UTC
So that gives me this:

linux-gate.so.1 => (0xffffe000)
libnsl.so.1 => /lib/libnsl.so.1 (0xf7770000)
libpthread.so.0 => /lib/libpthread.so.0 (0xf775a000)
libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0xf762d000)
/lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x56555000)

It appears the first one is missing something? And I'm not sure about
the last one...?

patchsk
2010-06-16 21:28:01 UTC
When you tried to start arplugin manually did you check if the
LD_LIBRARY_PATH is set and is same as what remedy is using during the
startup?
Did you see any lines in the plugin log even after setting the log
level to DEBUG?

Ben Chernys
2010-06-17 04:32:52 UTC
No that looks OK. So, the .so may not be part of the link and may be loaded
dynamically in which case ldd won't know about it.

Do you get anything in the plugin logs? You can also use truss (Solaris -
try strace on Linux) to see what actually happened - ie if the process was
actually started and when the request was made for the .so.

Cheers
Ben

_____

Axton
2010-06-17 06:03:37 UTC
Signal 8 is "Floating point exception". Try commenting out all the plugins
in ar.conf and see if the plugin server can be started by armonitor.

The link resolution you have when trying to start outside armonitor is
because the LD_LIBRARY_PATH does not contain the location of the libs.

Axton

The opinions, statements, and/or suggested courses of action expressed in
this E-mail do not necessarily reflect those of BMC Software, Inc. My
voluntary participation in this forum is not intended to convey a role as a
spokesperson, liaison or public relations representative for BMC Software,
Inc.