OT:Friday Humor - You Might be an Engineer If ...
Gidd Calden
2005-05-13 10:04:09 UTC
1. If you have no life - and you can PROVE it mathematically.
2. If the "fun" center of your brain has deteriorated from lack of use.

3. In college you thought Spring Break was metal fatigue failure.

4. The sales people at the local computer store can't answer any of your
questions.

5. If you consider ANY non-science course "easy."

6. If you know vector calculus but you can't remember how to do long
division.

7. If you can translate English into Binary.

8. You can type 70 words per minute but can't read your own handwriting.

9. You comment to your wife/girlfriend that her straight hair is nice and
parallel.

10. You sit backwards on the Disneyland rides to see how they do the special
effects.

11. You have saved every power cord from all your broken appliances.

12. You have more friends on the Internet than in real life.

13. You know what http:// stands for.

14. If it is sunny and 70 degrees outside, and you are working on a
computer.

15. If you have to bring a jacket with you, in the middle of summer, because
there's a wind-chill factor in the lab.

16. If you are completely addicted to caffeine.

17. If you avoid doing anything because you don't want to contribute to the
eventual heat-death of the universe.

18. You see a good design and still have to change it.

19. If you know how to integrate a chicken and can take the derivative of
water.

20. You've already calculated how much you make per second

Regards…Gidd

Brian Goralczyk
2005-05-13 14:25:18 UTC
Gidd, how many of these do we have to qualify for before we need to be concerned? I have like 5 or 6 of them, and thanks to you, I now know how much I make per second and it is a disappointing figure.

Brian

______________________________This posting was submitted via the Web interface

Gidd Calden
2005-05-13 19:05:48 UTC
Brian,

I think if you qualify for all you get an office,
next to Doug at Remedy !!

Regards...Gidd

Scott Parrish
2005-05-13 22:08:50 UTC
Taking a slightly different tack:

Chris Woyton, Derek Berube, Gidd Calden, Will Du Chene, et al

I really, really enjoy Remedy Development. I have *attempted* to learn some
other programming languages, but haven't had a whole lot of luck (nor a
whole lot of time) . I enjoy hacking my Tivo (given a set of instructions
and LINUX boot disc) . I can change my hard drive and I have a small home
network of four desktops and two laptops (all running Windows XP) . My Tivo
is networked . what am I trying to say? Well, to the average non-techy type,
I might appear to fall into the Engineer/Geek category, but to each of you I
can only say,

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! For now I have all the ammunition I need to
prove to both my wife and friends that NO! I am not a geek! (but maybe a
closet wanna be?)

Scott Parrish
Remedy Skilled Professional (I badge I am honored to wear, by the way)

P.S. Please take the previous with the tongue-in-cheek attitude in which it
was meant

Thomas Altamore

McKenzie, James J HQISEC/L3
2005-05-13 16:20:56 UTC
Gidd:

I decided against computing my pay/second. It is not worth my time to do
so....However, how many of us use a 'non-standard' operating system, such as
FreeBSD (aka MacOSX), Linux, or OS/2 as our PRIMARY operating system and
know how to 'tweek' it? That is definately a sure sign of being an
Engineer/Geek.

James McKenzie

Derek Berube
2005-05-13 19:22:29 UTC
Ok 3,4,5,8,9,10,13,14,15,16,18 (there's always room for improvement), 20
(just because you asked a math question - I had to do it)

On the operating system question note ... I have Mac OS X Tiger running
on a G4 desktop, G4 Powerbook & G5 desktop. Gentoo LINUX is running on
my dell Latitude C840 which is the primary system I use for my day to
day work. I have a dual processor 1Ghz PIII also running Gentoo LINUX
as my home server. And I have PC DOS 6.3, PC DOS 7.0, Windows 98,
Windows ME, and Windows XP Professional in VMWare sessions on my
laptop :-) I had a beta release of Windows Server 2003 running in a VM
at one point in time, but I dumped that after it went gold.

I used to support OS/2 when I worked at the PC Company - it was such a
great OS - the workplace shell is still the best GUI ever. Microsoft
even agreed, after all Microsoft helped develop it and when things went
sour with IBM they took their toys and went home. Shortly thereafter,
Windows NT was released. I think that they're finally dropping the
ability to run command line OS/2 utilities in Longhorn.

Yep. I may be an engineer ;-)

Derek
**
William H. Will Du Chene
2005-05-13 20:21:40 UTC
Is this all??? BBaaaaaahhhhh…….

In my basement (www.basementworkshop.net), I have a bit of a mixed
environment. My primary operating system that I have is FreeBSD 4.10. I
have it installed pretty much everywhere, spanning over a wired and
wireless LAN. There are two routers and one switch in this mix, spread
over two separate shelves (separate handy man style racks).

I have the planets from the Star Wars movies, including:

“Alderaan” - FreeBSD 4.10 – HTTP server ( Apache 2.0.54 / PHP 5), Samba
services

“Naboo” – FreeBSD 4.10 – MySQL server, Samba services

“Hoth” – FreeBSD 4.10 – IPFW Firewall with selected port forwarding, using
NATD to filter and direct selected internal traffic to the outside world.

“Tantoinne” – FreeBSD 4.10 – SMTP and Cyrus IMAP services with support for
IMAPS, SMTPS via SSL for secure message exchange.

“Degobah” – Dual boot (Suse 9.2 / WinXP Pro) – Personal laptop

“Cameno” - Windows XP – Gaming workstation – Hey, had to have some sort
of machine on which I could play CounterStrike Source. Anyone else play
that?

“Endor” – Windows XP – Laptop for my wife.

As for VM’s, I won’t even start to list them. I have FreeBSD, Windows NT,
and a variety of other Linux’s that I have been playing with.

Yes… There are cables running from the rafters in my basement. Sort of
looks like a Borg alcove. I run my own smtp, imap, smb, ssh, http, dns,
and firewall servers.

I expect that this setup will expand a bit, as I have started to host
small websites, and provide web mail services to others. I also maintain a
few selected *nix servers out side of work, and have put together a small
mixed lan for a client in the state next to me.

In all honesty, I cannot express my distain for Windows without using
several ‘colorful metaphors’ in the same sentence, and would not even run
it on my home systems, if it were not for the fact that some of the apps
that I play with don’t work so well with VMware.

There was a time when I had completely eradicated all installations of it,
and almost smashed the CD’s just for spite, but then stashed them for one
of those ‘just in case’ days. I discovered a need which made it a
‘necessary evil’ when I started to play the online games of ‘Tribes,’ and
‘CounterStike.’

As for Mac, I had looked at it, and started to play with it a bit here and
there but dropped it like a bad habit until I heard some rumor about them
adopting the FreeBSD core. Now it seems to have a mild interest for me
again.

I do all this just for fun.

So tell me truthfuly... Do I pass the entrace exam to being an 'engineer'
yet?
David Kirkpatrick
2005-05-13 20:15:41 UTC
Only an "Engineer of Evil, Darth."

Cheers,

David C. Kirkpatrick
Lead Analyst
The Regence Group
Portland, OR USA
503.553.1467 (phone)
***@regence.com

"William H.
Will Du Chene"
<***@BASEM To
ENTWORKSHOP.NE ***@ARSLIST.ORG
T> cc
Sent by:
"Action Subject
Request System Re: OT:Friday Humor - You Might be
discussion an Engineer If ...
list(ARSList)"
<***@ARSLI
ST.ORG>

05/13/2005
01:21 PM

Please respond
***@ARSLIS
T.ORG
|------------|
| [ ] Secure |
| E-mail |
|------------|

Post by Derek Berube
[...]

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This communication, including any attachment, contains information that may be confidential or privileged, and is intended solely for the entity or individual to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this message and are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message is strictly prohibited. Nothing in this email, including any attachment, is intended to be a legally binding signature.
==============================
William H. Will Du Chene
2005-05-13 20:35:38 UTC
Dramatic stretch of the right hand into a fist... "You do not know the
power of the Dark Side."

<Insert sound of the resperator here>
<snip>
Derek Berube
2005-05-13 20:44:51 UTC
Yeah, you win.

Reminds me of the "old days" with my company Venimex. We had a
"classroom" (which ended up being a gaming room and then a lab) setup
with 10 machines .. all named after Star Destroyers. Of course the
non-Star Wars fans would always complain that they couldn't remember
which machines they were working on.

"Was I working on Indomidable? What about Intractable? ..." I bet if
it were coming to destroy your planet ... you'd remember it's name.
Sheesh no respect for the dark side ... named too similarly.
Simpletons ;-)

OS X was when I came back to the Mac platform. That was the first
release built atop BSD UNIX. "Classic" Mac was a pioneer for it's
time ... but that OS was an old dog that needed desperately to be put
out of it's misery.

Derek
Is this all??? BBaaaaaahhhhh

.
Chris Woyton
2005-05-13 21:15:12 UTC
David Kirkpatrick
2005-05-13 21:37:37 UTC
Wow....I'm speechless...ok, that's not likely, but WOW! The examples that
you provided are so quintessential uber-engineer-geek that they read like
good fiction.

I will replace my mantra of thurmanumathurmanumathurmanuma with
woytonjooooewoytonjooooewoytonjooooe (well, at least for today)

Fascinating.

Cheers,

David C. Kirkpatrick
Lead Analyst
The Regence Group
Portland, OR USA
503.553.1467 (phone)
***@regence.com

"Chris Woyton"
<***@YAHOO
.COM> To
Sent by: ***@ARSLIST.ORG
"Action cc
Request System
discussion Subject
list(ARSList)" Re: OT:Friday Humor - You Might be
<***@ARSLI an Engineer If ...
ST.ORG>

05/13/2005
02:15 PM

Please respond
***@ARSLIS
T.ORG
|------------|
| [ ] Secure |
| E-mail |
|------------|

Ahhh.....very soon, William-san. As in all things, you
must first overcomplicate before simplified true
understanding comes to you.

These obstacles yet remain before you achieve the
pinnacle:

1. Cast off your bias for or against Microsoft and
come to the realization that all software sucks in
some way and consider it all with dispassionate
disdain convinced you could write it better.

2. Compile at least one *nix on a Palm Pilot.

Yet, once you've reached the status of Engineer, there
is yet another mountain to climb - that of the
Penultimate Engineer, a singular title held by only
one man in all of existance - Joe Woyton.

(The following are all absolutely true of my dad. And
I'm not just saying this because he's my dad either -
ask around with your Aerospace buddies, I bet some of
them know him and can attest to his alpha-engineer
status).

1. Diagram and plan simple household tasks and keep
metrics. (My father has actually diagrammed procedures
for changing oil in the car, replacing AC air filters
and has a schedule for which of his 3 dogs gets to
lick the pots and pans after dinner based on day of
the week (and has an algorithm to determine which one
gets the 7th day based on their most recent weight!)).

2. When confronted with an engineering problem, do not
hesitate to take apart the $125 electric lighter you
gave your wife for her anniversary to find out how the
quartz striker works.

At the kitchen table.

While she's sitting there.

And then put it back together.

Without saying anything.

3. Teach your children to count and do arithmetic in
base 2, 8 and 16 before 1st grade.

4. Fix a car's intake manifold on a long distance trip
with a coat hanger and epoxy that you just *happen* to
take everywhere with you.

5. Fix everything else with epoxy as well such that
the repair is stronger than the original (countless
pairs of eyeglasses survived my childhood years this
way - although after a few schoolyard scuffles and
games of dodgeball, they resembled masses of green
diamond-hard putty holding 2 coke-bottle bottoms.
Later repair models featured tungsten thread and clear
monary epoxies over the cumbersome binary compounds).

6. Painstakingly copy 25 pages of BASIC from BYTE
magazine so your kids can play Othello on your
Commodore 64.

6a. Then occupy the computer the rest of the night
because you saw opportunities to make the code "more
efficient" and improve the AI.

6b. Then occupy the computer for several more weeks
while you find ways to make BASIC calculate impact
vectors and random motion because you want to write a
billiards program.

7. Use a home ergonomic study to convince your teenage
son that cutting the grass every week reduces overall
energy expenditure by 34%, compared to being lazy
every other week.

8. Bring home low-wattage lasers, serial test-control
boxes, oscilloscopes, refraction optics and filters,
and assortments of mechanical and electronic computers
for your kids to play with and encourage them to take
the stuff apart.

8a. Make them fix the things they break.

8b. Bail them out by fixing the stuff yourself (and
show them how one can get a ruby-rod to lase again by
using clear nail polish and the backing from a cheap
Barbie mirror thing your sister won't miss anyway).

9. Be able to explain everything from derivatives to
music theory to digital gates to pH such that an
11-year old boy can understand.

10. Raise your children to keep the love of learning
you instilled in them their entire lives.

When you have achieved these things, William-san,
you'll truly be the Penultimate Engineer.

-Chris

--- "William H. Will Du Chene"
Post by Derek Berube
ability to run command line OS/2 utilities in
Longhorn.
Post by Derek Berube
Yep. I may be an engineer ;-)
Derek
On Fri, 2005-05-13 at 09:20 -0700, McKenzie, James
Post by Derek Berube
Post by McKenzie, James J HQISEC/L3
8. You can type 70 words per
minute but can't read
Post by Derek Berube
Post by McKenzie, James J HQISEC/L3
straight hair is nice and
parallel.
Post by Derek Berube
Post by McKenzie, James J HQISEC/L3
10. You sit backwards on the
Disneyland rides to see
Post by Derek Berube
Post by McKenzie, James J HQISEC/L3
submitted via the Web interface
______________________________This
posting was submitted via
Post by Derek Berube
Post by McKenzie, James J HQISEC/L3
the Web interface
Chris Woyton
***@primenet.com
602.538.0376

Warren Baltimore

Post by Derek Berube
Post by McKenzie, James J HQISEC/L3
the Web interface
Warren R. Baltimore II
Remedy Developer
UW Medicine IT Services
School of Medicine
University of Washington
Box 358220
1325 Fourth Ave, Suite 2000
Seattle, WA 98101

The opinions expressed in this e-mail are in no way those of the
University of Washington
William H. Will Du Chene
2005-05-13 22:00:23 UTC
<Ace Ventura> "Aaaaaallllll RRrrriiiiiiggggghhhhtttttyyyyy
ttttthhhhheeeeeeeennnnnnn!"</Ace Ventura>
Joanne Mansur
2005-05-13 20:11:49 UTC
Maybe? No, that's a definite. (smile)

Joanne

Derek Berube <***@WILDSTARTECH.COM>
<***@ARSLIST.ORG>
05/13/2005 03:22 PM
Please respond to arslist

To: ***@ARSLIST.ORG
cc:
Subject: Re: [ARSLIST] OT:Friday Humor - You Might be an Engineer If ...

**
[...]

**

Alan Nicoll
2005-05-13 22:18:30 UTC
So now we need a set of questions to see if you are an OLD engineer:

You are and OLD engineer if:

1. You still have a slide rule.

2. You still know how to use a slide rule.

3. You still actually use a slide rule.

4. You have operating system manuals for hardware currently curated by the
Smithsonian.

5. You have hardware 'somewhere' that's on the Smithsonian's want list.

6. You were looking for something in the lab last week and came across an
ICE (In Circuit Emulator for you children) for a chip that has left the
solar system.

7. You wired yourself into an ocilliscope the week before to time your
Parkinson shakes.

8. You still have scars on your hands from flying cards in deck readers.

9. You still have a scar on the back of your hand from sticking it into a
running analog Mark 1 Able fire control computer to apply a little braking
force to a disc resolver to prevent overrun that enabled the 5" 50 caliber
forward cannon to blast the Commie bastard out of the sky before he
skipped a bomb into the side of the destroyer you were riding.

10. And the ultimate insult...I mean proof...young female engineers get up
to give you their seat.

Nick

Daniel Bloom
2005-05-14 01:16:57 UTC
Since the current definition of old is:

You remember computing before there was an internet

and/or

you think that updating a web page less than every 3 months
is counter intuitive
(well okay I would prefer they stayed the same for a year)

thank you for making me feel young again!

(even if I remember programming a remote terminal with dip switches
to read cards to teach it to communicate with the main campus
so we could read in our programs on cards to get our printouts).

.... Daniel
ps. I owned but almost never used the slide rule I had,
and that was only because my step Dad is a chemical engineer

pps. Chris: GAAAKKK, wow bitter sweet cool!

ppps. anyone want an IBM 027 keypunch manual?

Nick
Ric Phillips
2005-05-16 00:10:24 UTC
When you have achieved these things, William-san, you'll truly be the
Penultimate Engineer

Seems like an awful lot of work to become the second last engineer :)

Ric
Melbourne
Chris Woyton
2005-05-16 04:10:15 UTC
LOL!

Preeminent...ultimate...penultimate...cut me some slack, I had to write it
quick :P

-CW

Brian Goralczyk

Joe DeSouza

McKenzie, James J HQISEC/L3
2005-05-16 15:13:48 UTC
Daniel:

Dialup TT33R Teletype Terminals, Paper Tape and HP-Basic..... I remember
the 'Build Your Own Computer' books in the library that actually used throw
type switches and a 'drum' type memory device that you setup yourself.

James McKenzie

McKenzie, James J HQISEC/L3
2005-05-16 15:40:04 UTC
Joe:

I resemble that remark. I want to be a pilot but I cannot pass the flight
physical (vision).

James McKenzie

[...]

_____

Yahoo! Mail Mobile
Take
<http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail_us/taglines/mobile/*http://mobile.yahoo.com/lea
rn/mail> Yahoo! Mail with you! Check email on your mobile phone.
O'Hara, Jim
2005-05-16 18:25:13 UTC
http://www.jenweb.net/norm/5k/t.htm
_____