Can An Attachment Field Be Made Read Only?
Sokol, Brian
2007-12-13 17:42:17 UTC
I have an attachment field on a form. Once a file is attached I want to
prevent anyone from changing or deleting the attachment. I would like
them to be able to view the attached file. I thought this would be
simple using the Change Field action and making it Read Only.
Unfortunately that option is not available for that type of field. I
know I can hide the field but I would prefer if it was made read only.
Is this possible?

Brian Sokol
Manager, Desktop Services
Scholastic Inc.
557 Broadway
NY, NY 10012
(212) 343-6494
http://www.Scholastic.com

FRANK, GORDON CTR DISA JSSC
2007-12-13 17:59:44 UTC
Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

You can't use a Change Display action, but you might be able to use an
error Filter with the syntax:

TR.<Attachment field> != DB.<Attachment field>

I haven't tried it but I'll bet you can. Let me know.

Gordon M. Frank
DISA\Version FNS

I have an attachment field on a form. Once a file is attached I want to
prevent anyone from changing or deleting the attachment. I would like
them to be able to view the attached file. I thought this would be
simple using the Change Field action and making it Read Only.
Unfortunately that option is not available for that type of field. I
know I can hide the field but I would prefer if it was made read only.
Is this possible?

Brian Sokol
Manager, Desktop Services
Scholastic Inc.
557 Broadway
NY, NY 10012
(212) 343-6494
http://www.Scholastic.com <http://www.Scholastic.com>

it___
Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE
Rick Cook
2007-12-13 18:08:39 UTC
Well, even assuming that you didn't want to build a separate form for
attachments, couldn't you use the permissions on the field to control the
R/W access to it (i.e. allow Submitter only)? Or perhaps only allow write
access to the field from a Submit window.

Rick

Sokol, Brian
2007-12-13 18:30:02 UTC
I don't want the submitter to be able to change it once he or she
attaches it to the form. I had thought of using a separate form but I am
not sure that would prevent the submitter from changing it as well.

________________________________

<http://www.Scholastic.com> >

__20060125_______________________This posting was submitted with
HTML in
it___
Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

_______
Platinum Sponsor: www.rmsportal.com ARSlist: "Where the Answers
Are"

it___

Heider, Stephen
2007-12-13 18:41:31 UTC
Brian,

How about this approach:

When the screen is opened or the entry retrieved - when the attachment
field is not null - change the attachment field to Hidden, display the
name (and optionally the size) of the attachment file in a read-only
character field that is displayed as text. Unhide a button next to
this character field that, when clicked, opens the attachment.

This allows the user to open, print, save a local copy, but does not
allow them to make any changes to the attachment or remove the
attachment from the record.

In the above example, only the presence of an attachment will trigger
your workflow to make it "read-only". You probably would want to add a
condition that will not make the attachment "read-only" if the user is
part of a certain group, ie. 'App-Administrator'. This will provide
the ability for certain users to have access to remove or update an
attachment.

Stephen

Remedy Skilled Professional

________________________________

Sokol, Brian
2007-12-13 19:14:28 UTC
Hi Stephen,

I just tried your approach and I am hoping I did something wrong because
this would be a perfect solution. When I click on the button I run an AL
with a Run Process action. It performs the following:

PERFORM-ACTION-OPEN-ATTACHMENT FieldID

This opens the file fine but if I modify the file and save it, the
changes are written back to the attachment file.

Brian

________________________________

it___

it___ __20060125_______________________This posting was submitted with
HTML in it___

Heider, Stephen
2007-12-13 19:25:56 UTC
Hi Brian,

I just tested that here (ARS 6.3) and the changes are not saved back to
the attachment field. The WUT did not even detect that a field was
changed on the record. I also tried changing another field to get the
WUT to detect a field change, and then saved the record. The attachment
file did not update.

Any anyone else experienced this?

Sokol, Brian
2007-12-13 19:55:57 UTC
I am on ars 7.1 so I don't know if something changed with that version.

________________________________

Hugo Visser
2007-12-18 09:20:18 UTC
This is a tricky one, the attachment isn't actually updated in the DB.
However, the WUT will create a temp file somewhere to show and open the
attachment. If you change the attachment the temp file is changed. Now when
you open the same temp file is opened again, it is not overwritten. It
appears that the attachment is changed. But when you save the attachment,
you'll see that the attachment is in fact not changed at all.

If you did want to update the attachment, you'd save it, modify it and
attach it to the field again.

Hugo

Sokol, Brian
2007-12-13 18:44:13 UTC
I tried that and for some reason the error message fires if I change any
field and try to save the request even if I do not touch the attachment
field.

Heider, Stephen
2007-12-13 19:02:07 UTC
The error you're describing sounds like a separate issue. You should be
able to hide/unhide, set field, change field without getting an error
message.

In the example below the character field would be display-only with
Disable Change Flag box checked.

If you have a few minutes, try creating a new form with which to test.
Add the attachment field, the character field and the button. Then
create one active-link that either makes the attachment 'read-only' or
updatable. If you can get this to work on your test form then you
should be able to make it work on your current form.

HTH

Timothy Powell
2007-12-13 19:34:59 UTC
Change the Run If to: '<Attachment field>' != 'DB.<Attachment field>'

UNSUBSCRIBE or access ARSlist Archives at www.arslist.org
Timothy Powell
2007-12-13 19:52:29 UTC
Actually, that's not right either. At a minimum it would have to be
'<Attachment field>' != 'DB.<Attachment field>' AND 'DB.<Attachment field>'
!= $NULL$

But that will only check if somebody is deleting the existing attachment. It
won't detect a change to the same attachment or even the replacement of the
original attachment with a different attachment.

Tim

UNSUBSCRIBE or access ARSlist Archives at www.arslist.org

___
UNSUBSCRIBE or access ARSlist Archives at www.arslist.org
Dwayne Martin
2007-12-13 18:51:03 UTC
Does anyone know WHY attachment fields can't be made read-only?

Is it just an oversight, or is there a good reason?

Dwayne Martin
James Madison University

Sokol, Brian
2007-12-13 19:22:47 UTC
I changed the action to PERFORM-ACTION-SAVE-ATTACHMENT FieldID and that
will work but I would rather have them be able to view the attachment
directly.

________________________________

Heider, Stephen
2007-12-13 19:47:08 UTC
Brian,

Is the attachment field on the form display-only (probably not)?

Try this, when the user clicks the button do a Set Fields from the
regular attachment field to a hidden display-only attachment field. Then
run the PERFORM-ACTION-OPEN-ATTACHMENT command. This way it should be
impossible for anything to get written .

Heider, Stephen
2007-12-13 19:57:53 UTC
Scratch that last message. I am working on a separate display-only
form for all attachments. On regular forms there doesn't seem to be an
option to create a display-only attachment field.

However... you can still use the same method of doing a Set Fields into
another attachment field. This second attachment field would be set to
$NULL $ either when saving or in the active-link (after the
PERFORM-ACTION-OPEN-ATTACHMENT command). Because the user is really
opening a copy of the file the original file remains intact.

Sokol, Brian
2007-12-13 20:16:13 UTC
Ok tried this -when I click on the button I do a Set Field from the
protected Attachment field to it's copy. I then do a
PERFORM-ACTION-OPEN-ATTACHMENT command on the 2nd attachment field. When
i try this I get the following error;

An invalid argument was encountered.

It looks like the set field fails to copy the attachment .

________________________________

it___

it___ __20060125_______________________This posting was submitted with
HTML in it___

it___ __20060125_______________________This posting was submitted with
HTML in it___ __20060125_______________________This posting was
submitted with HTML in it___

Jason Miller
2007-12-13 21:13:41 UTC
I am pretty sure I have created DO attachment fields on regular forms in
6.3. I just verified on 7.0.01 that it can be done. You can't create a DO
attachment pool (it doesn't save any data so that makes sense) but you can
created the attachment fields as DO within the attachment pool.

Jason

UNSUBSCRIBE or access ARSlist Archives at www.arslist.org

Sokol, Brian
2007-12-13 20:00:12 UTC
When you say a "display only attachment field" do you mean a hidden
one?I don't believe you can make an attachment field display only.

________________________________

Sokol, Brian
2007-12-13 20:34:35 UTC
Looks like you can not use a Set Field to copy from one attachment field
to the other. Any other ideas?

________________________________

Heider, Stephen
2007-12-13 20:40:02 UTC
I do that here but with a Set Fields from another form.

Try this: perform the Set Fields from the same form by '1' = $1$ This
should cause Remedy to retrieve the file from the server.

Thad K Esser
2007-12-13 20:53:56 UTC
I have a display only attachment field that is being set with a set
fields. When I was first setting it up, one issue I had was that if I put
the attachment field on an Admin Only tab (or a tab to which the user
doesn't have permissions), the set fields wouldn't happen. This was the
case even if the attachment pool/field itself had the proper permissions.
In my case the attachment field was hidden anyway, so I just moved it off
the page holder and it worked fine.

Just something to keep in mind.

Thad Esser
Remedy Developer
"Argue for your limitations, and sure enough, they're yours."-- Richard
Bach

"Heider, Stephen" <***@PBSJ.COM>
<***@ARSLIST.ORG>
12/13/2007 12:40 PM
Please respond to
***@ARSLIST.ORG

***@ARSLIST.ORG
cc

[...]

***IMPORTANT NOTICE: This communication, including any attachment, contains information that may be confidential or privileged, and is intended solely for the entity or individual to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this message and are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message is strictly prohibited. Nothing in this email, including any attachment, is intended to be a legally binding signature.***

Sokol, Brian
2007-12-13 21:11:08 UTC
If it is display only then how do you save the file in the attachment
field?

________________________________

Thad K Esser
2007-12-13 21:54:43 UTC
Brian,

In short - buttons. In my situation, I use a separate form to store the
attachments, and just present them on the user form via a table field. I
then have buttons for View, Add, Replace, Delete, and Save to Disk. You
can then control who has access to the buttons. The attachment pool is
hidden, so they never see it, just the table field.

Oh, and don't get Read/Write confused with Display Only:
"Read/Write", "Read Only", and "Disabled" are display options.
This setting addresses how the field will appear in the user tool.
"Optional", "Required", and "Display Only" are entry mode options
on the Database tab. This setting determines if a field is created in the
db or not.

Attachment pools aren't a database field, and so the "entry mode" concept
won't apply.
Attachment fields are database fields, and so the "entry mode" concept
will apply.

Hope that helps,
Thad Esser
Remedy Developer
"Argue for your limitations, and sure enough, they're yours."-- Richard
Bach

"Sokol, Brian" <***@SCHOLASTIC.COM>
<***@ARSLIST.ORG>
12/13/2007 01:11 PM

Don Simmons
2007-12-13 20:56:04 UTC
If you are using ITSM 7, take a look at how they lock the Worklog in Work Info. It does essentially the same thing. Once the record is locked the save button is disabled. You can change the attachment, but not save. If you need to add another attachment you create a new record with the new attachment.

Don

Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 15:34:35 -0500From: ***@SCHOLASTIC.COMSubject: Re: Can An Attachment Field Be Made Read Only? (UNCLASSIFIED)To: ***@ARSLIST.ORG**

Looks like you can not use a Set Field to copy from one attachment field to the other. Any other ideas?

From: Sokol, Brian Sent: Thursday, December 13, 2007 2:14 PMTo: ***@ARSLIST.ORGSubject: RE: Can An Attachment Field Be Made Read Only? (UNCLASSIFIED)
Hi Stephen,

I just tried your approach and I am hoping I did something wrong because this would be a perfect solution. When I click on the button I run an AL with a Run Process action. It performs the following:

PERFORM-ACTION-OPEN-ATTACHMENT FieldID

This opens the file fine but if I modify the file and save it, the changes are written back to the attachment file.

Brian

From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList) [mailto:***@ARSLIST.ORG] On Behalf Of Heider, StephenSent: Thursday, December 13, 2007 1:42 PMTo: ***@ARSLIST.ORGSubject: Re: Can An Attachment Field Be Made Read Only? (UNCLASSIFIED)
**

From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList) [mailto:***@ARSLIST.ORG] On Behalf Of Sokol, BrianSent: Thursday, December 13, 2007 1:30 PMTo: ***@ARSLIST.ORGSubject: Re: Can An Attachment Field Be Made Read Only? (UNCLASSIFIED)

I don't want the submitter to be able to change it once he or she attaches it to the form. I had thought of using a separate form but I am not sure that would prevent the submitter from changing it as well.

From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList) [mailto:***@ARSLIST.ORG] On Behalf Of Rick CookSent: Thursday, December 13, 2007 1:09 PMTo: ***@ARSLIST.ORGSubject: Re: Can An Attachment Field Be Made Read Only? (UNCLASSIFIED)
**

Well, even assuming that you didn't want to build a separate form for attachments, couldn't you use the permissions on the field to control the R/W access to it (i.e. allow Submitter only)? Or perhaps only allow write access to the field from a Submit window.

Rick

On 12/13/07, FRANK, GORDON CTR DISA JSSC <***@disa.mil> wrote:
Classification: UNCLASSIFIEDCaveats: NONEYou can't use a Change Display action, but you might be able to use an error Filter with the syntax:TR.<Attachment field> != DB.<Attachment field>I haven't tried it but I'll bet you can. Let me know.Gordon M. FrankDISA\Version FNS-----Original Message-----From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)[mailto:***@ARSLIST.ORG] On Behalf Of Sokol, BrianSent: Thursday, December 13, 2007 12:42 PM To: ***@ARSLIST.ORGSubject: Can An Attachment Field Be Made Read Only?**I have an attachment field on a form. Once a file is attached I want toprevent anyone from changing or deleting the attachment. I would like them to be able to view the attached file. I thought this would besimple using the Change Field action and making it Read Only.Unfortunately that option is not available for that type of field. Iknow I can hide the field but I would prefer if it was made read only. Is this possible?Brian SokolManager, Desktop ServicesScholastic Inc.557 BroadwayNY, NY 10012(212) 343-6494http://www.Scholastic.com < http://www.Scholastic.com>__20060125_______________________This posting was submitted with HTML init___Classification: UNCLASSIFIEDCaveats: NONE_______________________________________________________________________________ UNSUBSCRIBE or access ARSlist Archives at www.arslist.orgPlatinum Sponsor: www.rmsportal.com ARSlist: "Where the Answers Are"
__20060125_______________________This posting was submitted with HTML in it___ __20060125_______________________This posting was submitted with HTML in it___ __20060125_______________________This posting was submitted with HTML in it___ __20060125_______________________This posting was submitted with HTML in it___ __20060125_______________________This posting was submitted with HTML in it___ __20060125_______________________This posting was submitted with HTML in it___
Grooms, Frederick W
2007-12-13 20:42:34 UTC
Yes you can make a Read Only Attachment Field on a regular form.

Create your attachment pool (if you don't already have one). On the
Attachment Pool Properties add an Attachment Field. Close the
Attachment Pool properties and BEFORE SAVING THE FORM double click on
the new Attachment Field's file name to bring up the properties for the
attachment field.

You can do things like Hide the field, Disable the Change Flag, Set it
to Display Only, and other field settings

Fred

________________________________

Sokol, Brian
2007-12-13 21:07:58 UTC
Yes I know you can do that but if I make it display only then a file can
never be saved to the attachment pool. I need to have someone attach a
file and then ONLY allow them to read the file. They can not modify,
delete or replace the file.

________________________________

Dwayne Martin
2007-12-13 21:03:41 UTC
Fred,

I did what you said, and I don't see any option to choose between "Read/Write" and "Read Only". We are at 7.1. Am I missing something?

Dwayne Martin
James Madison Universiy

Sokol, Brian
2007-12-13 21:08:49 UTC
No you are not. There is no option for Read Only.

Michiel Beijen
2007-12-14 09:18:54 UTC
I guess you can put a trim box on top of it , the user would not be
able to access the field. Now you can add your own button and an AL
that does PERFORM-ACTION-OPEN-ATTACHMENT..
--
Met vriendelijke groet / Kind regards
Michiel Beijen

Sharma, Tarun
2007-12-14 11:20:58 UTC
Brian,

Go to Attachment pool properties-> Attachment field tab -> Make all
labels as NULL except display labels. Please find attached file also.
Then no body will be able to add/delete the attachment because other
option will be disappeared.

Though the user can see the file content and do some changes after
opening file but finally but he will not able to save these changes. But
this thing can be misleading to the user.

For some specific user to make 'add' operation available, you can make
another temp attachment pool which will be displayed only to valid users
who can add attachment. After adding attachment in temp attachment pool,
you can send the copy of this file to Main Attachment pool by using Set
field in an active link. But it may cause your performance.

Regards,
Tarun

Michiel Beijen
2007-12-14 13:44:10 UTC
If you would do this, I guess users could still drag and drop
attachments in the attachment field if it is empty - but then again,
that is not really a requirement...